Nashville Day Four

Got lost in the Gaylord with Wayne this AM. Wow, this place is BIG. Jack Graham signed a book for me and I saw Charles Stanley a few times. His book signing line is way too long to stand in.

Had a good discussion with a mobile content company. They still seem to be in their infancy, but that is true with a lot of tech companies. I asked a simple question and got a vague answer. "Who is the champion of mobile technology within companies/organizations you work with? Internet team, Marketing, Production, Information Technology? " They answered, "We work day to day with the team that hands us off the content." This tells me they don't know the 'in-door" to the companies they are trying to lure. But it also tells me they are hungry to find partners. I plan to meet with them again.


The bad news is just what I thought. No one has standardized a payment gateway or application. So the carriers are charging 30-50% of the transaction of purchased products/services/donations. A "Please call" call-to-action still could warrant a "connect fee." If you just want to minister for free, the carrier say "Whats in it for us?" I would love to be first to market and cutting edge, but it might be painful to mature with the industry... not knowing the return. I'll pray about it & discuss with Wayne.

Thought I would be bored here, but am finding walking, eating, meeting, and listening takes up to 90% of my day. The rest I fill with finding happy hours, stealing pens, and flirting with the help.

My next two meetings should be good. "Repurposing Content" and another meeting with Salem Communication's Web Division "OnePlace.com." If I have time to eat and work out, I then plan on going to a free comedy night. Christians are funny!

Although there is room for consultants in this world, I am getting a little frustrated with the Tech meetings here. They are littered with companies trying to brand themselves experts and then implying that you couldn't possibly make it without them. I have only asked a few questions in the sessions, but each one was not answered or not answered correctly. They can't help the people on the road, they can only help someone get on the road. I want to have dialog with someone who has already been down the path we are going. Looks like I will have to find niche companies and discuss each point individually. This of course takes time and I, of course, am not patient enough to finish a

I saw a mall right next to the hotel last night. They have a Bass Pro Shop. I might kill two birds and walk there instead of the comedy night. We will see if anyone else is crazy enough to do the same with me. It is a little cold in the evenings and I'm not wearing a blazer in my free time. A man has to stand for something: casual dress, long baths, No-Tollways, simple mobile billing, and NO MALE LINE DANCING are mine. These are a little more conservative than my neighbor's causes: Sleeveless shirts, repeal open container laws, dirty-word bumper stickers, and "if it flies, it dies" open hunting seasons.

The next meeting is run by the "Love Worth Finding" Radio and TV ministry. She is head of their Marketing division. I had breakfast with her group the other day. Very nice.

The late night dinner crew
Had a great night of dinner and conversation at Jimmie Kelly Steak House in downtown Nashville. Heard some great stories and learned a lot about these guys.

No comments: